The Succession Wars Mod

https://www.facebook.com/thesuccessionwarsmod

http://kivoart.deviantart.com/

Forums

Forum Home > Mod Artwork > Fonts & Interfaces

Orzie

I managed to convert Heroes 1 font to our format, with the great help of Evgeny, Palm Kingdoms lead designer. Now the font is much more authentic, but there is a problem with the background (heroes 3 does not allow font anti-aliasing).

I suppose, we will have to think about proper event message background. I wouldn't want to change it completely, so probably it could be a bit darker. However, I'm still pessimistic about it.

September 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Nevermind, I fixed the problem. However, we will still need to improve the background and interface considerably. The font also needs slight fixes.

September 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

The final version of the font:

Now the only things we can do to improve the situation - new background and/or darkening the font using programming.

September 23, 2014 at 12:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

New font in quick-made window: 

--
"They came from the depths of the Void,
an ancient Enemy of an ancient People..."
September 23, 2014 at 5:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Yeah, much better for sure. The thing is to understand how to implement all frame elements using only one def file (because the event message window frames are all included in one file).

I recall Kivo working on that direction, but I haven't got much news from him lately, unfortunately.

I am also pessimistic about the beige background of the window. I think the Evil version of the interface would work better with this font color though (my dream is to create 3 interfaces - the Good, the Evil and the Ugly Neutral). Perhaps we still can try to adjust the font gamma from plain white to something more good-looking (using programming).

And yeah, don't you think that the Okay button is too small? :) I would enlarge its width and height to 150-160% from the original, probably.

By the way, you use the outdated version of the font - it has wrong positioned g, j, p, q and some other letters, with some shadows also done wrong. I put the polished version in Dropbox today.

September 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

Check the Dropbox, I put there two defs. 

I'm wondering, why we don't put fonts from Heroes 2?

--
September 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Heroes 2 fonts are just the same.... with one small note. They are made with anti-aliasing, which makes them so good-looking on a beige background (the letters are made in Deluxe Paint and are probably saved as Amiga IFF, I even don't know if they have a mask for recoloring). Unfortunately, Heroes 3 does not support anti-aliasing or half-transparency. It has only the white color and the black color (shadow), which must be put manually.

This is the one more case when H2 is stronger than H3. There are no any known successful developments on the half-transparency, and I suppose only VCMI has a chance to achieve it.

So that, currently, there are only two ways to upgrade the picture: darkening the main font color and varying the background.

September 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Much thanks for the defs, I will check them tomorrow, when I will get back home :) 

September 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sir Albe

Intersting stuff for sure. It really brings back the athosphere of H2. Great job :)

September 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

With Uhm's windown frames shown in the upper post - yes, it does :) Now the Okay button is the only thing to reconsider, aside from the mentioned font color change.

September 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

I checked the new interface for the message windows. Looking good! Yet, there are two problems I spotted:

1) wrong pixels where shown;

2) text is conflicting with the pattern (I guess we should just use programming to somehow shift the text lower)

September 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

New buttons during fight: Default, Next creature Start combat.

--
September 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Looking good! Kivo was doing something on that direction too. I think your buttons must be included too.

Ah, and I see you didn't update the medium font. :)

I actually see that I must do fixes to the capital letters, because they are not aligned properly to the start of the string.

September 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

They're already on dropbox in "up-to-date-folder".

Look for icm011.def, icm012.def , soretrn.def , codefaul.def , comslide.def

I don't know what is wrong with my font but I downloaded updated font and it is exactly the same :P 

September 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

The font had wrong letters j, p, q, g - I fixed them now. For some reason I failed with the update before - probably forgot to copy the latest version. I will update it finally tomorrow, to fix the capital letter starting position.

Currently the programmer is trying to find a way to deal with the font problem (increasing the indent where necessary). Let's wait for the results.

By the way, a re-make of the Okay button in the event message window (~150% wider and ~150% taller) would be also good, as well as new buttons for Single Player menu (the current ones are blurry).

September 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

New town portal menu!

September 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Looks awesome. Now we have to create new buttons and finally convert BIGFNT and SMALFNT :)

September 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

Bigger buttons + slightly modified window

September 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Orzie

Now looking awesome. Did you check other dialog windows? For example, the dwellings, treasure chests, castle infrastructure and other. I wonder if they use the same button or another one.

Yesterday Feanor tried to enhance the text position, but the results were contradicting. So that your upgrade of the corners is essential, I think. It's close to perfect - we just need to test it on all kinds of message windows.

September 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

uhm

Improved Buttons: LOAD, OKAY, CANCEL. Need some small fixes. You can find them in dropbox as a: SCNRLOD.def , SCNRBEG.def , SCNRBACK.def.

September 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

2504 views - 0 comments
1918 views - 1 comment